
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8

Below is the transcript translate from the church ledgers and documentation of our church
April 1955
Four students from Belmont College asked Bro. Harold Gregory for
some work to do for the Lord. Bro. Gregory sent them to College Grove to visit and see if any
interest could be found. The students were John Carter, Ed Minor, Charlie and John Davis.
After visiting in some homes, they found some Baptist families and others interested in the
Lord’s work. Bro. Hawley Wilson, who was not a Baptist, but loved the Lord, asked for them to
pray about meeting in his home. After prayer meetings in several homes and a tent revival on
the school’s grounds, a work for the Lord was started by a small group of Baptists. The first
Sunday School being July 24, 1955, at the road-side park in College Grove Period; with an
attendance of eleven. Because there was not a building, Mr. Robert Davis asked us to meet in
his yard. That afternoon Bro. Charlie Davis and Mr. Robert Davis visited Mr. Marvin Scales to
see if he could get the front of the old grainery to have a meeting place. He gave his permission,
also donated materials to fix it up. The building was completed in December and the Christmas
program was the first service. We were without a sponsor during this time.
January 1956
In January 1956, Bro. John Davis took a vote to see if we wanted Concord Association for a sponsor. Concord Association accepted us as a mission. Bro. A.M. Nickerson came to help us organize our Sunday School training union. Concord was our sponsor until July 14 th , 1957, when Grandview Baptist Church was asked to
sponsor us; they did. In October of 1957, a lot was purchased by the mission to erect a building.
The lot was on highway 31, south of College Grove. January 1 st , 1958, the lot was paid for, then
plans were in the making for a building. Groundbreaking service was held June 22 nd , 1958, with
the following taking part: Bro. Bill Taylor (Pastor of the Mission), Bro. James Harris (Pastor of
Grandview the mother church), Mr. Harry Parks, Bro. Harold Gregory, and Mrs. Allie Ivery.
The following week the work was started. The building was completed and dedicated to God
November 9th , 1958. Those on the program:
Welcome – Bro. James Harris, Pastor of Grandview
Report on the work – Bro. William Taylor, Pastor of the mission
Dedication Sermon – Bro. Harold Gregory
Dedication Prayer – A.M. Nickerson
Thanks to people – Mr. Harry Parks, Chairman of the Missions Committee
October 1 st , 1961, there was a note burning service, as the note had been paid. Those on the
program:
Welcome – Bro. William Taylor, Pastor College Grove Chapel
Devotion – Bro. James Harris of Grandview
Special Song – College Grove Choir
Special Song – Grandview Choir
Note burning service – Mr. Harry Parks, Mission Chairman of the mother church, Mr.
Hawley Wilson (oldest member of the mission) holding the note. Mrs. Allie Ivery
representing the mission and lighting the fire.
July 1973
The College Grove Baptist Chapel organized into First Baptist of College Grove on July
15 th , 1973, at 2:30pm, with forty-eight charter members, with R.W. Lashbrook as interim pastor.
This information was documented by Mrs. Allie E. Ivery
This is how we became College Grove Baptist Church